Opera is expensive to produce. In spite of the fact that our soloists often perform for a fee well below the norm, and that all our administration is voluntary, ticket sales etc. do not cover the full costs. In the past, we have been fortunate to have had the support of the Arts Council, The Foundation for Sport and the Arts, local authorities and local individuals. Sponsorship from businesses and grants from Charitable Trusts provide additional funding, but it is invariably necessary each year for the Friends to offer support from accumulated funds.
MAKE A GIFT AID DECLARATION
Gift Aid regulations are financially advantageous to charities, without costing you more than your original donation. All donations are eligible, provided you pay an amount of Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax equal to the amount we can reclaim (currently 25p in every £1 you give). A Gift Aid declaration would allow us to reclaim tax on any donations you have made to us since 6 April 2000.
Join The Friends of Dorset Opera
The Friends of Dorset Opera was established as a separate charity in 1984 with the object of “promoting, supporting, assisting and improving the Society (Dorset Opera)”. In effect this means accumulating funds from members’ annual subscriptions, which are then made available to Dorset Opera when required, but at the same time striving to build up reserves.
The minimum subscription to the Friends is just £40 per year or £60 for a couple. Many kind Friends also include an annual donation taking the average subscription over that figure. Some donations are far more generous, but those donating more than £250 will fall into our Patrons category. To save on administration time, we ask that the subscription be paid by Banker’s Order. A Gift Aid declaration would allow us to reclaim tax without costing you any more.
Friends of Dorset Opera receive early publicity, and priority booking, for each opera production and also notice of occasional events put on in support of Dorset Opera. They also receive an informative, full-colour Newsletter twice a year. Friends’ names are listed in the programme. The AGM of the Friends is combined with that of Dorset Opera, and generally takes place in December or January each year.
Become a Patron of Dorset Opera
The Patrons scheme was instituted in 2006 to encourage financial support from businesses and benefactors. Patronage starts at just £250 per annum – with some generous Patrons and sponsors supporting our charity to the tune of several thousand pounds each year. Some Patrons prefer to link their donation to specific items i.e: soloists’ fees; music hire; scenic or costume design etc., (please ask to see our annual ‘Wish List’).
Many Patrons pay by Standing Order and commit to a five-year cycle of support. There are three levels of patronage which we would invite you to pay by Gift Aid.
|The Conductor’s Circle||From £250 per annum|
|The Director’s Circle||From £500 per annum|
|The Chairman’s Circle||From £1000 per annum|
|The President’s Circle||From £2500 per annum|
- Your generosity will be acknowledged in the opera programme and other printed material (unless you prefer to remain anonymous)
- You will receive early publicity and priority booking for each opera; copies of our bi-annual newsletter
- You will be invited to exclusive events throughout the year
- You will have an opportunity to join the casts for lunch and view the progress of the opera during our production week
- Time permitting, you will also be escorted on a tour of the costume and props departments
- You will be invited to join the President, Chairman and Artistic Director at a champagne reception on the night(s) you attend the opera
- In addition, members of our President’s Circle are invited to join the cast on stage after the first night of each opera and receive the services of a personal booking manager.